Welcome to Clementine’s Weekly Reading Series, where Clem the hedgehog talks about whatever she is currently reading. This week: Mr. Penumbra’s 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan.
I’m on page 105 right now and shit’s getting good. I was hesitant to start this book since I noticed that someone had called it “Harry Potter for grown ups.” I fell for that line before with Lev Grossman’s The Magicians— a good book spoiled by a second half that was as disappointing as a bad case of quill mites. But this isn’t Harry Potter for grown-ups. It’s Harry Potter for people with Android phones and Chrome bags or those guys who wear those god-awful skele-toe shoes.
But it’s more complex than that. On the flip side, it’s also for namby-pamby people like my owner, who lurk the Strand and revel in the smell of used books (Barf. Save that shlock for Pinterest.) I’ve never read a more timely book, and I think all of you suckers in the publishing industry would love this book. You’re always asking what the future of the book is, and here it is! Sort of. As for me, I’m digging the book so far. I like books — real books — but I’m not above using my Nook. So I guess I represent both of the book’s key audiences. Though I’d rather eat my own babies than be caught in skele-toe shoes.
- bringmethehorse reblogged this from al-askayoung
- al-askayoung reblogged this from hedgehogs-inc
- amazinglyasiananya likes this
- hedgehogs-inc reblogged this from hedgehogappreciation
- saralamode likes this
- silkev likes this
- nicoeluss reblogged this from hedgehogappreciation
- mylittlehedgehog likes this
- midnightbeetles likes this
- sailorsnail likes this
- corvoattano likes this
- pop-it-lock-it-spock-it reblogged this from hedgehogappreciation
- hedgehogappreciation reblogged this from blackballoonpublishing
- eggplanting likes this
- chloek3 likes this
- cyndaquilpoop likes this
- harperbooks likes this
- booksmatter likes this
- blackballoonpublishing posted this